How can I avoid chargebacks?
There are many actions which merchants may choose to implement in order to prevent or reduce chargebacks. These include:
- Use a trackable shipping method for all physical shipments
- Use an Address Verification System
- Ensure CVC is mandatory on checkout page.
- Ensure contact details are clear and easy to find on website and all documents (invoice, emails, etc.)
- Provide Free phone or local telephone numbers
- Work with cardholders to resolve disputes
- Do not complete a transaction if the authorization request is declined
- Do not accept expired cards
- Alert cardholders before a periodic rebilling is debited
- If cardholder requests cancellation of a recurring transaction, cancel the transaction immediately. Reply to cardholder in writing to advise the service, subscription, or membership has been cancelled and state the effective date of the cancellation.
- Merchant Terms & Conditions and Cancellation/Return Policy need to be clearly available and acknowledged by cardholder.
- Ship merchandise before depositing transaction.
- Ensure promotions and pricing displayed on website are correct
- Notify cardholders of shipping delays or out of stock merchandise
- Perform fraud checks on cardholders before processing orders.